As I announced in my last blog post, I’ve been working on creating a zine. After much experimenting, I’ve settled on a few things:
- The zine will be called “The Scribbler”
- “The Scribbler” will be a free publication, distributed through my Patreon but available to everyone
- “The Scribbler” will feature my artwork with my writing – think comics and illustrated short stories
- Each issue will feature a theme which will be woven into the artwork and all of the writing
- The first issue of “The Scribbler” will be rutabaga-themed
All of the artwork for the first issue is completed, as is 90% of the writing, so I’m still planning to have the first one published before the end of January.
I have learned how to write and paint in the van, now. It’s a relief to have something of a system worked out for both of those. As it turns out, #vanlife comes with way better downtime than backpacking, because everything is always ready – I even already have a space to work!
Coming back to travel has been very reassuring and re-centering for me. Things are back in order and I feel like myself again for the first time in several months. It helps that we are currently exploring the southwest, my favorite part of the US – at least, of the parts I’ve seen so far. I find the extreme desert climate, the wildlife, the art-driven culture, the bold colors, and the distinctive architecture to all be very inspiring.
I’m looking forward to sharing what I’ve been working on; I hope you are too!